Our story begins in 1851
...when the first Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine arrived in Cleveland, Ohio from France to serve as the city’s first public health nurses. As the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine congregation grew, the sisters developed innovative and compassionate responses to address emerging community needs. They established hospitals, schools and dozens of health and social service programs in Ohio and South Carolina.
The Sisters founded Cleveland’s first private hospital, St. Vincent Charity Medical Center, in 1865 in Cleveland’s Central Neighborhood, where it still stands today.
In 1873, the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine open Saint Ann Hospital and Infant Home to care for mothers and children; the hospital operated in service of Cleveland's women and families for a century. In 1973, the Sisters used the proceeds of the sale of Cleveland’s Saint Ann Hospital to endow the Saint Ann Foundation, the first health care conversion foundation in the United States.
In 1996, hospital partnerships generated proceeds to endow The Sisters of Charity Foundations of Cleveland, Canton and South Carolina.
In 2006, the Saint Ann Foundation and the Sisters of Charity Foundation of Cleveland merged and blended their missions and funding priorities. That same year, the foundation charted a new course to honor our heritage by embarking on a journey to strategically direct our work and investments. Our strategies focused on issues of homelessness, health and education disparities, with a special attention to the Central Neighborhood of Cleveland, and supporting Catholic sisters whose ministries have historically addressed these issues and so many more.
About the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine
The Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine is a congregation of women religious who, since their founding in 1851, have carried forward a faith-based legacy of high-quality, compassionate care.
This document provides background information about the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine’s charism, mission and history, which includes more than 170 years of responsive ministry and a quest for social justice.